Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults or better known by RCIA is a program designed for adults that would like to enter into full communion with the Catholic Church.
The Rite of Christian Initiation is the way the Catholic Church accepts new adult members, as well as children of catechetical age, 7 years or older, who have not been baptized. If you or someone you know is interested in becoming Catholic, returning to the church, completing sacraments of initiation or learning more about your faith we would like to invite you to join us.
We meet on Tuesday evenings at 7:00 PM in Berry Hall from the end of August through to May. If you would like more information about this process please contact:
619.698.8434 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rite has multiple expectations:
- As an interested person, you expect that we will provide you with the knowledge and support for you to become a fully initiated member of the Catholic Church.
- As an RCIA team, our expectations are that you are committed to this Journey.
- This commitment starts with requiring that you regularly attend our Tuesday evening sessions, about an hour and a half long. The information presented during the Inquiry sessions is designed to help you discern if you want to continue your Journey. We would like to extend an invitation for you to join us at Sunday Mass.
The Inquiry portion of the Journey ends with the Rite of Acceptance.
If you decide to continue at this point, the time commitment changes to add the Breaking Open of the Word (BOW). BOW is part of Mass every Sunday. The schedule of BOW is included with your copy of the curriculum.
There are some special events which are also part of the Journey:
- The Rite of Sending and Election
- The Rite of Sending will take place at Saint Martin’s at the BOW Mass (11:00 AM). The Rite of Election will be at Golden Hall that afternoon.
- Holy Thursday
- Good Friday
- Easter Vigil
- The Journey continues on Tuesday evenings through May and ends with a Mass to celebrate our Journeys and Pot Luck Dinner.
- The last part of everyone’s commitment is that you feel welcomed by God and our community. Our hope is that you want to become an active member of our parish and our Catholic Community.